Friday, 23 September 2011

The Department Store Beauty Experience

Department stores are a great way to find and discover more high end and niche brands pertaining to beauty. However, the experience can often be overwhelming with all that there is to offer.

This is my guide to making the department store beauty experience more enjoyable and worthwhile.

Tip #1 - Do a little bit of research into some brands that are based at the particular department store so that you are not running around like a headless chicken trying to find a specific brand. This is something that happened to me, and turned out the brand I was looking for was not at Selfridges but in House of Fraser.

Tip #2 - Ask for advice or more information. Whether a particular shade is suited to you, and whether there is any other colour's that could potentially suit you. This is the beauty of shopping at the department store, as help is always at hand and it is a more personal and informative experience as the counter assistants have brand knowledge.

Tip #3 - If you spot something that tickles your fancy, test it on your skin and ask the counter assistant to test the product on your skin. This way you know exactly what it looks like and whether the product is right for you.

Tip #4 - Ask for samples! Don't be shy to ask for samples even if you are not purchasing a product! Sample's are great if you feel a particular foundation or skincare product etc is something you are interested in, but do not know whether it may break you out or is suitable for you. This is why I love visiting the department stores for beauty products as I come home with quite a few samples...



Yesterday I asked for a few Kiehl's samples of products I wanted to try, and a sample of Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua Foundation (shade B40) which I have been meaning to try after the hype. My sister and I both picked up a sample of the foundation, and after testing it on our skins I may do a review if I purchase the full size.

Tip #5 - Take advantage of free facials/ skincare consultations and mini makeover's that they have on various different counters, which can be part of promotions or a separate offering! Yesterday Kiehl's were offering mini facials :)

These are not a extensive guide of tips, and there are probably many more tips that others can provide, and if so please be sure to leave them in the comments below. This is just my top 5 for when you brace the department store beauty counters.

xoxo
Khaddy

4 comments:

  1. Hey you no what thing that confuses me, when you go to these department stores do they take of the makeup you already applied on your face or do they just put the new foundation over it. Or should you just go with no make up on??
    I've been to department stores when they give you a free make over and sometimes i hate the way they do the makeup i no i could have done a better job lol. It frustrates me a lot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asiyah - I go with my makeup on, then they take off the makeup and apply the product on my skin and will usually complete the whole makeup for me. I have never had that issue of them applying the makeup bad.. I think it depends where you go and their level of experience as some counter assistant's are not beauty therapists x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're making a good point with the samples, especially foundation! It's hard to try to colour match in stores, but if you have a sample, you can see it in different lights. Plus you get the consultant to choose the colour that's best likely to siut you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms Bubu - Thank you for the extra hints and tips :) Much appreciated. Yep I totally agree with you in relation to lighting and foundation colour :)

    ReplyDelete